Saturday, November 24, 2007

Huh?

I set up an interview for Tuesday and they want three letters of reference. I don't think I've needed that since I applied for college, and yet the prospective boss indicated that it was the most normal thing in the world and required by the company. Ugh.

Most of the employees are nurses and health care workers, so I can see the point there. But I've never been asked for this for accounting jobs. They seem content with just running background checks.

So now I have to come up with a member of the community ("like a teacher, or politician"), and two employers. And I know that Hyatt employees aren't supposed to do letters, they're very much in the "let's avoid lawsuits by only verifying dates of employment camp". Plus, Hyatt employees don't stick in one job for long, so I don't even know if I can find my former bosses.

Should I just cancel the interview?

2 comments:

painterjoy said...

What is the job? Is it worth that kind of trouble or effort?

AllBeehive said...

It seems that in today's tech age, it is very passe to ask someone to submit a letter of recommendation. A good HR person will usually call a number of references. Are they being lazy?