Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Since the mall is forty minutes away, and the Wal-mart is still a work in progress, we country folk have to find other ways to get our Christmas lists to Santa. In Canton, they plan a tree lighting ceremony for the day after Thanksgiving, then all the kids line up to see Santa on the town green. He arrived by horse drawn carriage, and there were also a half dozen people dressed as Frosty, Rudolph and various North Pole critters walking around to keep the kids entertained while we waited.

Claire didn't last through the hour wait. It was below freezing, and a layer of snow and slush covered the ground. (Something Mom should have thought of before deciding to wear a pair of lightweight sneakers instead of boots.) So while she and Grandma retired to make Hot Cocoa, Nathan and I stuck it out to see the big man himself.


Apparently, he wants Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle toys this Christmas, and was devastated that the free goody bag had a book instead.

In other Christmas news, I'm trying to figure out how to decorate the house when I have absolutely no exterior outlets. Just to get this modest display up took three extension cords leading from the farthest corner of the garage, a timer and a small three outlet adapter.

I want to put lights on the porch, and bought an adapter to convert the light bulb socket into a plug, but I don't want to risk overloading that. Also, the porch is Zeppo's domain, and I'm not sure how he'd take to a change in decor. Although he's left the garland on the lamppost alone so far.

Whatever we do will certainly pale in comparison the the neighbors. They've been lit up for over a week, keeps me up nights.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy! I decided it was time to do some much needed catching up. I tried emailing you a few times, but apparently I don't have your correct email address because it keeps coming back. Love you blog. Your children are so gorgeous! Can you send your email and mailing address to me so I can catch up properly? Send to my work email at rcastaldy@maptech.com. I have a new job--Thank God! The other job was killing me--literally with high blood pressure. My new job is much better!

I like your snowman display! I understand the hassle of putting up Christmas lights--Matt and I worked together to get ours up. Taking them down is the real hassle. Maybe we'll be on of those people who leave them up year round and only turn them on at Christmas time!

Look forward to hearing from you,
Roxanne