Thursday, January 03, 2008

Screw the Networks

Now that our T.V. viewing habits are completely messed up by the strike, I've taken to watching lots of TV on DVD. Although now I'm getting confused about whether watching DVD's is supporting the writers or not. They get residuals, but apparently they're pretty minuscule. I'm know I shouldn't watch reality T.V, Leno or internet downloads, but after that things get iffy.

Anyway, here's a few reviews to cheer up your darkened T.V.....


Kitchen Confidential - I don't know why Fox pulled this after only four episodes. It's crass, sexist, violent - you'd think it'd be an instant hit. Maybe the "gourmet food" angle turned people off. Personally, I just had trouble trying to believe that Will from Alias could be anything like Anthony Bourdain. I read Kitchen Confidential a few years ago, and it was almost enough to make me want Dan to change careers. Dan and I have been watching a few episodes each night since he got it for Christmas, and it's really funny. Especially the bits where they torture the intern. Although I worry that it's giving Dan ideas. And after he shares it around work, I'll really worry about anyone who comes unprepared into that kitchen. They've been known to send fellow employees out looking for ingredients that don't exist.


Odyssey 5 - This was a Sci-Fi show on Showtime. Yeah, try to figure that one out. I found it a few weeks ago on the Sci-Fi network, although they only ran one episode. It's possible that taking out all the swear words and gratuitous nudity made the censored episodes hard to follow. Decided to rent it because the premise was cool, and because it had my new T.V. boyfriend, Christopher Gorham from Ugly Betty, in it. (And if you ever find Jake 2.0 on Sci-Fi, he's excellent in that too.) It's about a space shuttle crew that witnesses the destruction of the earth, and then has their minds sent back in time to their younger selves to try to prevent it. Lots of stuff about sentient beings roaming the internet and synthetic creatures making trouble. In the meantime, they're trying to work out problems in their personal lives that may or may not be repeating in the new timeline. I'm not quite done with the series, and I've been warned that the never resolved cliffhanger ending will drive me crazy, but I've really liked it so far.



Freaks and Geeks - What a wonderful show. It's set a few years before we would have been in High School, but looks horribly familiar anyway. Imagine if we'd turned our backs on our Honor roll, band geek, friends to start hanging out with Heavy Metal listening, class cutting, stoners. Hmmmmm. Moving right along. The problem with watching it as an adult, is that I can't decide if I relate more to Lindsay or her mother now. Although it's Sam who really steals your heart. (and he's the intern in Kitchen Confidential too)


Deadwood - Borrowed this from some of Dan's co-workers. I think the third season stumbled with the Hearst plotline, but the brilliance of earlier episodes outweighs that. Although sometimes I feared that the T.V. would burst into flames each time Bullock sent a lustful look Mrs. Garrett's way. Tim Olyphant could outstare a statue.

What else should be in my Netflix queue? I'm going to give Undeclared a go next, with Seth Rogan and many of the Freaks and Geeks & 40yr-old Virgin folks. Any other late, lamented shows that would make good viewing?

1 comment:

AllBeehive said...

It seems that the only movies that I have seen lately have Seth Godin in them and I love them all. It makes me want to queue Freaks and Geeks. If you haven't seen Super Bad yet, you should get it. It is so good I watched it twice in a row. Something I never do.

As for network shows, during my pregnancy, I am embarrassed to say that I watched all 7 Seasons of Charmed. (Please don't add up the hours.) And I want to add all of Six Feet Under to our queue which I would like to watch from the beginning. But we'd have to be shut in under 3 feet of snow.