Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Frak

We're not really smiling anymore. I don't think this guy would be a good fit for us, which in itself isn't too bad. But, he's also been talking to SLU on his own, and could end up being involved whether we like it or not. He's considering buying the building. I think he'd only do that if he then wanted to work with us to run it, but I don't think he likes our restaurant style. The local Lobster House came up in conversation a lot. And the scarier part is that he was indicating that his opinion on our menu and restaurant concept might also be shared by the people making the final call at SLU. It's entirely plausible that they'll hook him up with another interested party and we'll be out for good. If we can only get in by agreeing to be a Ruby Tuesdays clone, then we'd rather be out.

Dan looked pretty grim before going to work. I hope he doesn't drive himself crazy over the next day.

4 comments:

AllBeehive said...

Still keeping fingers crossed. What is it with people and chain restaurants. Do they know that there are a number of us our here that REFUSE to step foot in a chain unless forced? We are being alienated by the fast american eateries. I protest. I want real food, made by real people, with fresh ingredients.

davegannon said...

I don't want to make light of this. I am very sorry that you are dealing with such big hoops. Maybe this cutting your teeth is so that WHEN this happens, now, or down the road, you can say you have paid your dues. BUT, maybe you should consider opening up a Starbucks, or better yet, a Dunkin Donuts. EVERYONE loves those, and you wouldn't have to deal with these idiots not recognizing talent, skill and food craftsmanship when they see it. Wake up guys, you are missing out on Palmetto!

saffry said...

Not a crazy idea, and one I've thought of in the past. More as something that I'd do to get experience in the money and HR side.

But all the great franchises, the ones that make me drool like Panera and Ben & Jerry's, have HUGE cash requirements, and often require you to invest in multiple stores. Which leaves small "food court" places as my only option. And even if I liked that idea, the nearby mall is dying a slow, painful death thanks to the Wal-Mart across the street.

painterjoy said...

I don't know what to say, except to echo Christy's and Dave's words. At this point, please stay hopeful. It's difficult to do that, but the positive feelings of the hope and dream will hopefully bring your smiles back.
It can be such a deep disappointment when you see the small-mindedness of some folks, especially when they are in the position of power.
Even though there is a big bump right now, you two have done so much towards your goals. It is truly inspiring.