Monday, March 19, 2007

Where the heart is

Have you all been waiting for news about the restaurant? Cause I don't really want to talk about that right now. I don't know what we're doing yet, and can't decide which path will lead to happiness.

So instead, I'm looking at houses to buy. Which is kind of fun and mostly frustrating. I remember being sooooooo overwhelmed in D.C. when there were thousands of listings in our commuting area and hundreds in our price range. How could we possibly narrow it down? I still don't quite know how we ended up in Germantown. Although it was a pretty easy step to go from our apartment there to the townhouse, which was essentially across the street.

Now we have to think about school systems and winter driving conditions. I'd like to be in either the Canton (Dan's hometown) or Potsdam (where Dan works) school system because I'm more familiar with those villages. They also have a higher concentration of parents who are professionals because of the colleges, and higher family incomes. But it probably doesn't make that much of a difference in the great scheme of things if only 1/4 of the class is poor as opposed to 1/2. Although I think we'll try to stay away from the Neo-Nazis in Parishville.

We also have many debates about whether we want a country home or a village home. I'm pro-village, I want to walk to get milk and have the kids be able to get to school with a minimum of hassle. Dan wants the country to he can have a meat-smoker in the backyard and walk the dog without having to pick up poop. Not that we have a dog, but that's apparently the next step. A sampling of choices.....

1.
2.
3.

3 comments:

davegannon said...

I VOTE FOR #2. Simply gorgeous, updated-ish, and the color is nice, AND THE PRICE. We are Drooling over here. It is sickening. Are there any designer jobs in Potsdam? Good luck!

saffry said...

Did you see the difference in tax prices though? $4000 a year for the village home, double what it would be outside the village limits. Village homes have water and sewer service, and also their own police and fire department. I don't know if that's worth another $200 a month.

painterjoy said...

Yeah, the tax difference is shocking!I would take the Village taxes though, knowing I have such services.

Does it make you feel any better that a similar size home here in Burbank starts at 600,000. The 20% down payment is more than the total cost of those houses. And here the lot is measured by sq. ft., not acres.

I would be so happy to be able to have any of those houses. You are so, so lucky!