Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Pro-Choice

Imagine you're a jury in a John Grisham novel. The Prosecutor has just unleashed a tirade that seems to damn the defendant, only to have the judge rule that it's all inadmissible. And of course, you, as a juror, are told to forget everything you've just heard. Yeah, right.

That's how this Palin thing feels for me now. Since Friday night I've been caught up in reading every detail or rumor that's been dredged up. But today, I gave myself a big slap on the head to remind me that "Hello, I'm a liberal feminist. What Palin CHOOSES to do during her pregancy is none of my business. How she decides to balance her family responsibilies and her job are none of my business. If I'm going to laud Biden for not quitting his job over increased family responsibilities, then I can't expect Palin to turn down a once in a lifetime opportunity just because of a messy family life."

That's my public opinion. How I feel in private is another matter. And I probably won't be able to stop trying to work out if the Religious Right's public statements of support may be different from the private thoughts they'll have in the voter's booth. They tend to not be as enlightened about feminist issues as me.

That said, here is a long list of reasons that Palin is bad for women, bad for our country and just a horrible, horrible choice.

Wants to have schools teach abstinence only.
Wants schools to teach creationism.
Tried to fire a librarian for not banning books.
Supported the bridge to Nowhere.
Supported indicted Senator Ted Stevens.
She continually injects God into Government.
She doesn't believe that human activity causes global warming.

You know there's more than that. I can't even imagine how much more will come out in the next few days. But I'm going to try very, very, very hard to NOT make this a big election about small things.

1 comment:

dndrey said...

Hi Amy--

It's Dana from the restaurant. Ever since Dan shared his blog info with us, I have faithfully read both yours and his every week. I have so enjoyed your postings... Your recent issues with Claire's hair (I love the new cut, but she is such a doll she could pull off a mohawk) and your friend leaving are two that I "got" recently. I have to let you know that I am so on board with you about this whole Palin debacle. She is so wrong on so many levels, as you very eloquently (sp.) wrote. All I can say is ugh. She is ridiculous and frightening at the same time. If Barack doesn't win, I am moving to Canada. Okay, maybe not, but it will be truly awful.

Take care,

Dana