Saturday, May 13, 2006

What color is my parachute?

I'd like a career. I revisit this topic many times, and still haven't made any progress. Over the last few years I've considered Librarian, Financial Consultant, CPA, Restauranter, blah, blah, blah. The one I come back to the most often is Math Teacher. I'd like to take revenge on the Mr. Kowalchyks of the world who scare people, especially girls, away from Math. Years in accounting led to me rediscovering my aptitude for numbers, and any time they sent a trainee my way, I enjoyed teaching.

But how do I do it? I start my research the same way, checking local colleges for courses. Realizing I have to get a double major. Worrying that my Bates GPA will screw me up on transferring the Gen Ed requirements. Deciding that I can afford tuition. Then remembering I've got two kids now, and how can I afford to put them in Daycare or feed them if I'm not working for 3-4 years. And if I do work and go to school part-time, I'll never see them.

Isn't there a looming teacher shortage? Shouldn't people be clamoring to give me $100,000 cash so I can do this?

No comments: