Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Banker's hours

This is going to take some getting used to. Working 40 hrs again, and trying to sort out the kids, the dog and dinner in a short period of time when I get home. At least I don't have the insane commute anymore. Although I now have an insane amount of paperwork to look through from Pre-K, Nathan's daycare and Claire's daycare. I'll have you know that most of the artwork goes straight into the garbage. Although I am keeping some of Nathan's best attempts at writing his name.

The job is pretty cool. Not at all what I was expecting. The office is termed "Deposit Operations" and there are four departments with 8-10 people each. I'm in Reconciliation, and the people I work with review IRA accounts, ATM transactions, Debit card disputes and more that I haven't seen yet. The woman I'm replacing is on maternity leave, so I'm expecting to be there 3 months. They're not teaching me the complicated stuff, but the "grunt work", which is fine. My immediate boss has made a good impression on me so far, although it's pretty hard to fall lower than my last boss. Hopefully she'll be like my first controller at Hyatt, who was a hard worker, but took time each day to check in on us and joke around a bit.

Whether it will turn into a permanent job is a big question. Another woman in the data entry dept said that she'd been there as a temp for none months and no permanent jobs had opened. But I don't think she had any prior job experience, or much interest in the job, since she's now leaving for her completely different dream job. So things could be different for me. At the least, I'll make the best impression I can in case there are openings that the boss can recommend me for in the other local offices. I'm afraid that they do a lot of their hiring by promoting tellers.

In other news, the pig farm is now a cow farm, and they're being quite noisy on their first day home. Claire is thrilled, and wanted to go out and wave to them for a bit.

No comments: