Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Open Mouth, Insert Foot

Things you should not say at a job interview.

"I'd like a job with less stress."

God, why? Why did I say that? aaarrrgh.

In context, it makes sense. She saw all the experience I had on my resume and wanted to know why I was looking at this job, especially since she'd just told me the sadly low pay rate. She was just trying to make sure that I wouldn't take the job and then leave in a few months if something better came along. So I was trying to be reassuring that this is a job I want, and instead I said something stupid that makes me sound lazy.

I'm hoping that I recovered. I tried to make it seem that it was stressful because of the 50 hour week (which Hyatt expects of management) and horrible commute. But I should have also stressed that since my degree and experience don't match, I was only expecting semi-entry level job offers when I moved back.

I do want this job. Even though the pay was lower than what I thought was the lowest I would take, it comes with so many benefits that it will work out in the long run. Free tuition for the kids at any of the four local colleges is a pretty nice perk too. Even if they only went for a year or two before transferring, it would be so worth the low pay now.

2 comments:

painterjoy said...

Are you supposed to want a job with more stress? "Yes, I would like much more stress. Thank you." I wouldn't worry about it. I am sure she understood what you meant, and I am sure that your experience shows that you are not lazy.

Still have my fingers crossed for you!

davegannon said...

i agree with joy. plus with your attitude and well-spoken delivery throughout the rest of the interview ( i will assume) you surely came across and a stong-suited candidate. no worries. college is a great perk!