Thursday, September 20, 2007

Kelly Girl

There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth over the lost job last week. I obsessively checked websites for job leads, and even began to wonder if I could make a living off mturk at .10 a job. All that's behind me now, at least for the next two months.

I'm not sure why I wasn't registered with Kelly Services earlier. Maybe it was bad memories of a summer spent opening mail for Publisher's Clearing House when I was a Kelly Girl in 1991. But I sent them a resume Friday, took the skills assessment tests yesterday, and on Monday I start a new job. I'll be working for a bank, but not in a branch. Instead I'll be working for "Deposit Services", which I guess means handling the paperwork that flows from the other 130 branches in the area.

Technically, it is only for two months. But the recruiter said that they have kept a lot of people on permanently. I was amazed that I could set daycare up this fast, it will be annoying if I have to pull them out again.

And because I'm a history buff, here's a 1910 postcard of where I'll be working. Somehow, I don't think it still looks like this.

3 comments:

painterjoy said...

Maybe it will look like that. That would be so cool!
Congratulations on the job!
I worked as a Kelly girl once. I changed film in the cameras for a photographer who was shooting a graduation.

AllBeehive said...

Congratulations! That's how I've always gotten jobs too. The job I had for 10 years after moving here, I got through a temp agency.

davegannon said...

I once was a Kelly Girl...er...I mean temp boy.

Hey! Congrats. Many many temp jobs turn perm. So good luck to you on that.