Thursday, April 03, 2008

Dr. Seuss Made me Cry

Sarah was a loving, generous, playful person. And although we shed many tears, there was also an outflowing of love and generosity from all her friends and family at the funeral. I hope it has helped to comfort my dear Aunt Erin and my cousin Patrick and his family.

Sarah loved books, and especially children's books. To honor her, people who came to the wake and the funeral brought books and toys to donate to the elementary school. I think there were probably a hundred books there, and her best friend Phyllis used them to decorate the reception hall, a much needed burst of color and humor after the funeral mass.

Here are some of her favorite books, some books that she gave my kids, and some books that she shared with others.

Superdog: The Heart of a Hero This is an amazing gift. Not just because the story and the illustration are so good, but because the Superhero dachshund shares his name with my childhood dachshund, Dexter. Although my Dexter was much happier lying in the sun than rescuing stranded cats.



A Teeny Tiny Baby was another great gift, that really celebrate new motherhood. My favorite page is when the two week old goes to the botanic garden and the guard says..."Ahhh, and already he's seen the forsythia", because it just expresses how wonderful the world is when you see it with fresh eyes. And now it will continue to remind me of Sarah because of how the sight of the blooming forsythia welcomed us to Maryland and brightened the tables at the reception for her.


The Legend of the Curse of the Bambino It's a kid's book about the Red Sox. What's not to love.


The Giving Tree I've always had my doubts about whether this is really a children's book. It's always seemed to be more for the parents, a reminder that as we give our love and help to our children, it may not always be appreciated, but that we can be happiest when we give without expecting anything in return. My mother had this book for a long time, and I think it helped her when she needed to grieve the illnesses and loss of her mother. It was the center theme of Patrick's eulogy, as he remarked on Sarah's unceasing generosity to her four young nephews and all her friends.



Where the Wild Things Are One of Sarah's prized possesions was a signed copy of this. But even without the signature, it should be in every child's bookcase. I love it because when Max says "Let the wild rumpus start" I give Nathan three pages worth of wild jungle music

Oooomba laka laka, Oooomba laka laka, Oomba Oomba Oooomba laka laka

there's more, but it doesn't really translate to English.



Phyllis talked of two books in her eulogy. She first talked of how the day we heard the news was definately a Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day!

And then she did an amazing job of reminding us all of the fun that Sarah brought to our lives every time we saw her. Who else makes regular pilgrimages to NYC to go to a children's book store? Or decides to memorialize her vacations by taking pictures of an Ernie doll at famous tourist attractions? And who else gives a book to a best friend that has adorable pictures of how best friends still love each other through bad hair days, green spotted faces and pepperoni earrings?


Bad Kitty One last book. I saw it on a table at the reception and thought it was delightful, and funny, and sneakily educational. I later found out that it was her newest favorite, and her co-workers at Barnes and Noble had given it to Patrick to read to the boys. There's going to be copy in my house as soon as possible too. It's an absolutely perfect book to remind me of Sarah.


And finally, a last word from Dr. Seuss.

You'll be on your way up!
You'll be seeing great sights!
You'll join the high fliers
who soar to high heights.

3 comments:

painterjoy said...

Thank you for that. Sarah' spirit will reach so many people, including me and my baby!

Anonymous said...

Amy, Thank you for the lovely words about Sarah, my best friend. She also gave me Teeny Tiny Baby plus so many other books I cannot name them all. This past Christmas Jessica got Fancy Nancy and Sophia got the Baby Einstien box of ABC books. Phyllis

Anonymous said...

Amy, what a lovely tribute to Sarah. I also got Teeny Tiny Baby when Owen was born, and like you, countless other books through the years. I loved her so much, and I know her absence will be felt by all of us - forever.
I hope our paths cross again soon. Take care of your beautiful family. Cousin Liz from California