Friday, April 04, 2008

Mrs. Butterworth can take a flying leap

Have you been in suspense wondering about the output of the McFarland Sugarbush? Well, wonder no more. We've gotten a little over three pints so far, much better than I expected. Although we have to re-bottle things now that some of the sediment has settled, otherwise there's some weird black sludge inside. Yuck. I bought cheesecloth to strain it, but I don't know if Dan remembered to use it while bottling.

For comparison, I took this photo of a big sugaring operation up the road that can make 80 gallons of syrup a day. Here's their evaporator.



And ours.


And here's our finished product. I don't think it's quite fancy grade, it's a bit darker with stronger flavor. But still very nice. And it smells so nice while it's boiling down.

Slight hitch in the proceedings today. Dan went to boil down about 7 more gallons, and it went much faster than usual, and he left it unattended at the wrong time. So now our pot has a burned mess inside. Not quite sure if we'll be able to resume operations.

3 comments:

painterjoy said...

Oh, I am so very jealous! How wonderful, and what an aroma it must have. All organic and local and everything! yum!

davegannon said...

that looks SO sweet and delicious! great job!

AllBeehive said...

As the queen of all things pancakes, I am jealous too. If you need any of my recipes for oatmeal, bran, pumpkin, spiced ginger, or banana walnut pankcakes, let me know.