Monday, April 28, 2008

Family History

I've been in the mood to get my family trees sorted out. I started an ancestry.com tree, but I haven't wanted to spend $15/month for the full membership. So I'm filling in what I know, and at some point I'll be able to link up my trees with other family members who've been doing their own branches.

I've been doing more on the DuBois side, because that history is all in New York and it's fun to get it untangled now that I live in New York too. Also, growing up, I was more interested in all the Irish ancestors and annoyed with the DuBois line and the constant mispronunciation of the name. But now I think it's pretty cool that I had ancestors who came to the U.S. in the 1600's and decided to settle in the Catskills after someone's wife was kidnapped by Indians. I've also finally solved the mystery of why my Father's Grandfather and Great-Grandfather married Irish-born women. There was a stone quarry in the town the DuBois's lived in, so a lot of Irish came to work the quarry in the late 1800's.

Not that I've completely forgotten my Mom's side. My cousin Mary has set-up a Yahoo group for folks to post pictures and stories, which is really fun. Don't you love this picture of my Nana in Asbury park?

She has an amazing diary from the 3-4 years before she got married. It's very short entries each day, but there is something on every day. Plays, vacations, bowling, going out for drives with boys. I'd love to get that online too. I'd tried typing it up years ago, but it was back in the dark ages of computers and I didn't get very far. I've seen people enter old diaries in blog style, which probably makes searching it easier. I'll have to take a look at it again and see what I can do. Or see if any of my cousins wants to tackle the job.

2 comments:

painterjoy said...

That is am amazing photo. I love photos of my ancestors too mostly because they always look so very stylish.
How wonderful to know so much of your family's history. And how even more amazing that you landed so close to the beginning of it all.

Anonymous said...

Amy, That is a great picture of Kitty. I remember when Sarah and I went to Vermont and stayed with your parents we found Kitty's diary. It was a pleasure to read. Sarah enjoyed reading the diary and seeing a side of her grandmother that she did not know.

Have you thought about scanning the diary. Then you save her memories and her handwritting.