Sunday, May 11, 2008

Past and Present Mother's Day

2002 - Spent the day upset and frustrated because we'd been trying to conceive without luck for a few years. Trying to stay hopeful about the appointment I had with a fertility doctor in a few weeks. Also annoyed because we had plans to go to Vegas and canceled when Dan was promoted-he'd have to work Mother's Day. Dan came home from work and thought he'd done a good thing bringing me some leftover dessert of chocolate mousse in a chocolate box. Except I burst into tears when I saw the "Happy Mother's Day" on the lid. So instead he hauled me off to a local restaurant for a late night snack to cheer me up. He must have done a good job because Nathan was born about nine months later.

2003 - First Mother's day! It was actually pretty rough. Dan working again, and just a few months after my Mom died. But I dragged Nathan over to Dan's restaurant for Brunch and got ooohed and aaahed over so much by the restaurant staff that things perked up.

2004 - Dan working again, do you see a trend here? Dad came to visit, so it was a much nicer Mom's day. We pretty much spent the whole weekend painting and decorating Nathan's bedroom.

2005 - Very, very, very pregnant. Decided to walk to a local ice cream place with Nathan and indulge. (I think, and I could be wrong, but I think Dan was at work) Pleasantly surprised when a woman there strikes up a conversation about the joys of motherhood. Realize later that she'd seen me on Mother's day with no husband around and no ring on finger (too swollen) and thought I was a single mom about to be raising two kids. She was talking to me because she pitied me.

2006 - Had to share this one, it fell on Claire's B-day. But I decided to ignore her and have a Mother's day for Janet and I.

2007 - I'm finally coming to grips with the fact that the kids will probably be out of the house before Dan can take the day off and give me the whole "Breakfast in bed, massage, feet up all day, no chores" Mother's day that everyone dreams of. Not that we did too bad this year. The kids and I had a great morning painting, and playing by the riverside with Zeppo, practicing baseball and making brownies. A little bit of everything. And then Dan was home for dinner, so that's the best part. Although I still haven't gotten a massage.

1 comment:

painterjoy said...

Happy Mother's Day!! Don't worry, you will get that massage. Nobody deserves it more.