Saturday, May 17, 2008

The TRAUMA



Finally got a tooth out. Thank God. Although I'm pretty sure that the damage has been done as far as getting the new teeth lined up properly. How much do braces cost?

For weeks now I've been telling him to "wiggle wiggle" every chance I get. For a little while he was letting me wiggle and pull on the understanding that I'd stop if it hurt. I must have gone too far because that privilege ended two weeks ago. But I managed to get a chance again tonight at bedtime and was able to get it out pretty easily after just a few seconds of pulling. Surprised the hell out of him and me. There's soooooo much blood. Yikes.

So of course he starts freaking out and crying. I stuff a few kleenex in his mouth and carry him (boy he's heavy now) downstairs for a wet washcloth. After a few minutes of sucking on that the curiosity got to him, and he stopped crying so he could look in the mirror. By then I was plying him with an icy pop too. He was pretty tired, it was already past bedtime when this all started, and I think he was anxious to get the tooth under his pillow. So now he's sleeping. Or possibly lying in bed looking at his tooth every other minute. I had to stop myself from trying to do the grab when I kissed him goodnight, because he'll probably keep looking at it for awhile. I put it in a baggy, so I should be able to fish it out when I got to bed.

I'm not going to bother with taking a picture of the tooth. It's so tiny, like the bits of popped popcorn leftover in the bottom of the bowl. Instead I give you a picture of the loot. The box I made last month and one gold dollar. Maybe I'll print up a note from the tooth fairy too. Dan tells me he once got $50 dollars for a tooth, but only because it was going to have to be pulled by the dentist and that would have cost more.

1 comment:

painterjoy said...

What an experience - I am sure he will remember this for a while.
The box is very cute. What exactly is the box for again? To keep all the teeth in?
I still remember when my teeth came loose. I remember waking up to my Mom reaching under the pillow and figuring out the scam! Ha!