Friday, June 09, 2006

Working for a living?

I need to write this down to help me think through the problem........

I was just doing the math again trying to decide when I should go back to work. My current fomula of weekly rate-taxes-daycare=$3000 year. Which just about equals what I'd have to spend on health insurance since I'd lose our current coverage if our income rises. That might be a little pessimistic, but even my optimistic calculations only come out to taking home $6000 a year. Yuch!

What to do, what to do.
1. The Lodge is supposed to be on schedule to open next May.
2. Daycare rates will drop as Claire gets older, and when Nathan starts preschool.
3. We really need to guard what is left of our savings so that will have money to move back.
4.It'd be better to add to the savings so we can buy a house asap.
5.Weekly expenses will probably drop if I'm not taking the kids out to lunch and going shopping every other day. Heating bills in the winter will also drop if no one is home.
6.We'll probably lose the current health coverage in Nov. anyway when they realize that Dan gets overtime. I should get a job that provides ins. before then.

A. I'll never see Dan.
B. The kids will be sick more often, and I'll need to take time off work for my Dr.'s appnts.
C. R.A. is still not under control, I shouldn't start work if I may have pain.
D. It'd be nice to be with Claire for first steps, words etc. (She's a slowpoke re:walking)

Hmmmm, I think this means I should go back to work. As long as I find daycare and a payrate that skew toward the optimistic. Then work on our budget some more to make sure that our net worth goes up after I start working, or at least goes down at a slower rate. Nothing would stop me from quitting two months later if it's a disaster.

1 comment:

painterjoy said...

It would have been very helpful to have real life courses in school, where situations like this are discussed. But I guess there is no definite answer. Right now I am healthy, and Mark has a fantastic job, but I know that can changge at any moment. But I realize now that more important things are being near family and friends and having a support system, a community.