Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Wal-Mart if Coming


According to our local news, they broke ground just outside town today. The project has been mired in lawsuits and town squabbling since 2004, I'd started to think they'd given up after they postponed the groundbreaking earlier this spring. No such luck.

It's hypocritical of me to not want them here, since I make regular trips to a nearby town that does have a Wal-Mart. But that's a larger city with an industrial base, not a quaint little village with a walkable downtown and locally owned stores. And I still don't see how we could possible have the population to sustain a Supercenter, especially with two other Wal-Mart's within a 40 minute drive.

Although last I heard the company and the town government were still haggling over sewer and water access, so it may not be a done deal yet.

No comments: