Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Breast is Best

I never thought that I'd still be exclusively breastfeeding Claire at three months, never mind nine months. It's been pretty amazing to be there for her, to be able to feed and soothe her anywhere and anytime. But it's coming to an end soon. I have to have her weaned so that I can start taking medication for the Arthritis and my next doctor's visit is Mar 16.
We've gotten past the big challenge and found a bottle that she was willing to use. So she's been getting lots of formula at meal times, and has finally started accepting the bottle at other times too. We're down to just two breastfeedings a day now, and it could be one if I was stricter with her.
Now I just have to prepare for the last day. So I think of all the pluses to bottlefeeding, being able to leave the house for more than a three-hour stretch, not having to take her out to the car or some other out of the way place if she needs feeding while we're traveling, giving Dan a chance to feed her and bond more (something he's been missing) and maybe being able to sleep for more than six hours at a time. It dosen't outweigh the pluses to breastfeeding, especially that satisfied look she gives me when she settles down after being upset or hungry, but it's got to be done. Right now she has a bottle in her hands and is giggling like mad, so I guess we'll be okay. Posted by Picasa

No comments: