Friday, March 31, 2006

Where I live Part 1





This is not my house. But it is the view from my side porch. It's a small lake formed by a dam on the Raquette River. I think you can see that the shoreline is still icy even though we hit 72 degrees today. Every weekend this winter there was an ice fishing hut out there.

We're on a dead-end road where about 20% of the houses, including this brown one, are seasonal. Just around the corner is a public beach. Hannawa Falls is only about 3000 people, the surrounding area is all dairy farms and quarries. I miss my Adirondack mountains, but there are a lot of rivers with hiking trails.

Potsdam, where Dan works, is a college town. That was very obvious today when every frat was out bbq'ing and setting up kegs on the front lawn. It's the "Cultural" center of Northern New York - according to the sign I pass each day. I think the term dubious distinction applies. The SUNY here focuses on music, so there are a lot of concerts, which is a big part of the reason Dan's parents have stayed here instead of moving south after retirement. Janet is taking Nathan to a Peter and the Wolf puppet show tommorrow. Potsdam's other claim to fame is that Wes Craven was inspired by some students who shot a horror film spoof at the frat houses on Elm St.

2 comments:

AllBeehive said...

Wow, it's really pretty there. I kind of pictured it as this dreary place since you are counting off the days to when you can move back to paradise.

painterjoy said...

I think it's lovely!! I know it sounds strange, but I miss bare trees and flat grey skies and cold, CLEAN air!! Mmmmmm!!