Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Take me out to the ballpark





Spring is here. Birds are tweeting. The thermometer has cracked 32 and the cows are out in the pastures. And baseball's back. I've actually been watching the World Baseball Classic, getting in the mood for summer and waiting for my man Varitek to play for USA. Too bad A-Rod is on his team and he can't hit him in the face with his glove again.

Plus, I'm trying out my latent geek/tomboy tendencies by giving fantasy baseball a try. It's hard not to want to stack my whole team with members of the Sox 2004 team. I want Damon and Mueller and Millar back on my team. Who cares if Millar sucked last year, he's funny. Probably not the attitude to have if I want to win my league. All I know now is that I'm not picking anyone who's part of the steroid scandal. Or any Yankees. (Except Damon, he's not really a Yankee yet.)

Claire was almost named Damon by the way. I found out I was pregnant as the Sox were battling out for first at the end of the 2004 season. So when Johnny hit a Grand Slam against the Yankees in the play-offs, I started lobbying Dan to name the kid Damon if it was a boy. I'd also asked Dad down for a visit, planning to tell him about his new grandchild. To keep it a surprise I said I wanted him to visit so if the Red Sox made it to the World Series we'd be able to watch games 5-7 together. I think we were the only Red Sox fans who were mad that they swept it in four.

2 comments:

AllBeehive said...

You've seen Fever Pitch haven't you!

saffry said...

Well, just once. I would never have his decorating scheme. I'd really rather see the British version with Colin Firth.
I think my interest in baseball was reawakened more because it's something to talk to my Dad about. I never talked to him on the phone, so the Sox's great year in 2003 gave us conversation starters after Mom died.