Saturday, April 29, 2006

Sunrise sucks

Claire was up at 5:45 today, which translates to me spending half of the day looking for curtains to block the morning sun better. It is not going well. I made three attempts at local shopping. First "Giant Tiger", which is very eclectic, everything from frozen hamburger to clothes to sheets. But it's all crap. They only had a few ugly lacy kitchen curtains. So then I tried a small, regionally based department store. Actually, it's a hardware store with delusions of grandeur. They had curtain rods, but nothing to hang on them. My third stop only did custom windows. Also tried a Pier One wannabee and a "green" store, but not with high expections.
So it seemed clear that online was the way to go, but I just can't get excited about anything. The only thing I really liked was at Ikea, and it's not available online. I like sheers, especially ones with cute butterflies embroidered on them, but that really does nothing for the sun problem. Then I start going overboard with tiebacks and finials, and soon I've got $100 worth of stuff in the shopping cart, and I'm only doing one window.
I came very close to buying a sewing machine and doing them myself.

2 comments:

painterjoy said...

Hey, Amy, let me buy you the curtains and mail them to you. I can practically walk to Ikea. And I would luh-huv any excuse to go there. Really, I love Ikea!

AllBeehive said...

You should read www.dooce.com. She had the same problem a month ago and she and her husband snuck outside and used I think aluminum foil on the window? I think it helped them get an extra hours worth of sleep.