Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Gainfully employed

I have to go to work tomorrow. Yikes! It's been over 20 months since I worked. Hyatt employed 350 people, with 14 people in my accounting office and another 50 or so that I was on a first name basis with. This company does employ about 150 people, but they're spread over 3 states. I don't think more than a dozen actually work at the headquarters. Quite a change. I'm just going to work 3 days a week, for abysmally low pay. More details when I actually know more.

The big news is that I can wear jeans tomorrow. (I won't, but I can.) This is an astonishing change from my prior dress codes.

Hyatt-Women could only wear pants if they were part of a suit (same fabric and color), no off-beat hair colors, no open-toed shoes

Sea Island - even more conservative, skirts and dresses only, uniformed employees weren't allowed to wear colored nail polish (so guests could see that hands were clean)

Best Western - boring hotel uniform

Trapp Family Lodge - itchy wool skirt and vest. Luckily I wasn't there for the summer, when they wore flowered dresses that were supposed to evoke the feeling that Maria Von Trapp had torn down some curtains and made them herself. Not Kidding.

Old Sturbridge Village - Nothing will ever top this. Cotton Cap, Bonnet, Dress, Petticoat, neckerchief, shawl, apron and handmade leather shoes.


I'll probably still wear skirts to work, because that's what I own. I only have two pairs of jeans, and one has silly butterflys on the butt.

4 comments:

AllBeehive said...

Congratulations on getting back into the working world! Did you get a babysitter or daycare?

I think I have jeans with butterflies or flowers or some suchedness on them too.

painterjoy said...

How was work? Are your co workers nice? Conratulations! I think the whole process of interviewing and starting jobs is so scary and stressful. I hope you enjoy this one!

After doing the most challenging and rewarding job of Mother, does it change how you view a "real"(?) job?

davegannon said...

I wonder if they would mind if you wore a petticoat?
CONGRATS ON THE NEW JOB!
I am sure it feels good to be working again. And, only three days a week. Awesome!

davegannon said...

P.S. As you can tell, I have just recently become a regular reader. Sorry. I have it bookmarked now. You are a good poster.