Sunday, June 10, 2007

Stone Mason needed, apply here

This is the back deck. I suspect that it was originally an add-on to the house used for storage and may actually never have been a traditional deck.

Dad was here the weekend, and helped Dan tear up the old rotted wood that was poking up. So now we're left with this, and I'm not sure what to do next. If we scrape away the dirt and weeds, there is a concrete slab. But we're not sure how big it is and how badly cracked.

Rather than put a wood deck in, I'd like to investigate something with stone or concrete pavers. I really want to find a way to incorporate the stone work that is already there.

For instance, this gigantic stone that served as a step for whatever was here before.


And the edging/foundation that is made of local sandstone.



But I also have to worry about this bizarre exposed area under our kitchen. It's kind of looking like when they extended the kitchen by a few feet, they just laid the addition on 2x4's. So I want to make sure that whatever we lay down will also protect this area, and cover up the gross plywood.

No comments: