Sunday, June 03, 2007

Three steps forward, two steps back

I should have pictures to go with this post, but I don't know where the camera is and I don't have the phone connection figured out yet.

We've got all our crap in Potsdam now. A large portion of it is still in boxes, although we think that the majority of unpacked stuff is now books and seasonal stuff. Except the kitchen, which has been a pain to sort out. Until we get the washing machine and dryer hooked up, we can't put some shelves in the laundry area for cleaning supplies and miscellaneous kitchen stuff.

We dropped $200 at Home Depot today. Part of that went to a fancy new shower head that we hope feels as good as it looks. I think Dan will shower tonight for the fun of it. I also got PVC pipe to fix the washer connection so we can do laundry tomorrow. And Dan got a pruning saw to take care of some dead branches on our lilac tree. We also put some House Numbers up on the porch, and added our name to the mailbox. That's fun.

Now, for the setbacks. We had a violent storm tear up the street yesterday. The kids and I came home to find a big chunk of Maple tree lying next to the house and on top of what I thought was the power line. It wasn't until 4 hours later when the power came back that I found it was the cable line instead. And somehow, the wind blew open one of the garage doors, which we already knew was broken. It is now upside-down and backwards. We're kind of afraid to touch it for fear it will crash down onto us. And it's neighboring door has been half off it's rail since the day we moved in. Needless to say, all the boxes we'd thrown in the garage got soaking wet. So, we'll be moving garage doors up to the top of the contractor list, ahead of a deck and roof. I had also left the house without closing the side door, and the new storm door there was put on badly and doesn't close well. So I came home to find it blown open and the entire foyer wet from floor to ceiling. Yikes. Plus, the storm is in even worse shape now because the rod got slightly bent from being tossed open by the wind.

Alright, I have to test the washing machine now and make sure the drain pipe doesn't overflow. Then, more unpacking as I keep a spare eye on the Sox/Yankees game.

3 comments:

painterjoy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
painterjoy said...

There were so many grammar mistakes in my first post that I was too ashamed to leave it.

Jeez, you have been through a lot! But I do think that you will look back on this time with a smile and such a sense of accomplishment.

Hang in there. Congratulations!

AllBeehive said...

I would just say try not to get too overwhelmed. Even a "completely redone" home has a ton of work that still needs to be done to it. Good luck!