Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Another Arthritis Update

Had another Doc appointment. I am generally feeling well, but not perfect. And especially after the 1 1/2 car ride and 1 1/2 wait in the office, I had stiffness in my knees and elbows. So my doctor submitted the paperwork for Enbrel, which is really a miracle drug for RA that's only been available a few years. In order for the insurance to approve it, you have to have tried the older, cheaper drugs first, and failed to find relief. Since my Doc helped write the rules on when my insurance would approve my prescription, he's pretty confident I'll get it.

But what he doesn't know is the cost. The drug is at least $1000 a month, and my insurance may say I have to pay a percentage rather than a flat $30-40 a month. If it's affordable, I'll have to give myself weekly injections. If it's too expensive, then we'll switch to drugs that are administered in hospitals by infusion about once a month. But they have more serious side effects.

Doc wasn't too keen on the idea of getting a tattoo either. I will have a supressed immune system and if I get an infection, I'll have to stop the Enbrel. I'll wait and see how Dan does with his tattoo. And also wait until after the summer, when I won't be going swimming anymore.

3 comments:

painterjoy said...

I love the new blog look. I hope that you get the new drug, and that it is as miraculous as they claim. I will still design the tattoo, even if it is a while till you get it. Were you thinking tribal, celtic, primitive?

AllBeehive said...

My mom has been on embrel for awhile. It comes with these little frozen packs that you can reuse in a cooler. That's about all I know. Though I do believe it is a good drug, I think it's the one that kills the liver, so she's encouraged not to drink, esp. on the days that she takes it.

saffry said...

What I'm taking now is also not liver friendly. I don't drink anyway, so it's fine. I remember when Mom had to stop drinking because of liver problems. All she ever had was one beer on Friday nights when we got pizza, but she hated having to give it up. I think a bit of wine or champagne at Joy's reception would be nice though.