Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Highs and Lows of XM radio

We've had XM for about two years now, and I just started using one of the functions a few weeks ago. I discovered that if you push a button while a favorite artist is on, the radio remembers and will tell me when that artist is on another station. So I can turn my radio into an almost constant stream of Grunge rock by flipping the channel to Nirvana, Chili Peppers, and Green Day, occasionally interrupted by some classic favorites like U2 or REM. This has it's problems, such as when I flipped to the 80's channel to hear Meditate by INXS and then got blindsided by Milli Vanilli. This also means that I'm really limiting my music knowledge, I rarely remember the names of new bands or singers, I'm so stuck in my Lollapalooza ways. What will I do when my kids regard my music as "oldies" or "classic rock?"

At least we're not listening to the Disney Channel. Although that brings up other issues. Like today, I thought I hit the jackpot when one Channel played the Femmes "Add it Up" right after another channel played "Blister in the Sun". But, here I am in the car with the kids. What to do when the third verse comes on? Usually I don't think the kids really pick the swear words out of the songs, but this is pretty explicit. So I turned down the volumn and sang it in my head instead. What do you think that says about my parenting style?

Actually, my parenting style is probably better reflected by what happened after we got to the playground. The family we were meeting wasn't there yet, so I was playing catch with Nathan and ran headfirst into a support beam. I think that's the only time a hit has knocked me off my feet. Kind of like being clotheslined, but with the splitting pain and the giant goose egg on my head. Good times. If it's really black and blue tomorrow I'll post a photo.

No comments: