Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Maybe I should shred more often

Weird stuff with the mortgage that is freaking me out.

A. We wanted to use a state mortgage program that would cover closing costs (with the cost completely written off if we stayed in the home for 10 years) and had a very low interest rate. The woman at the bank had never done a mortgage with this program before. After we signed everything, she called Dan and told him that it would take 100 days to close. She must be WRONG. Yes, it could take an extra week, but there's no way that it's going to take three months. So I think we're going to have to cancel that application. And since we don't think this woman has a clue, we'll have to go to the Mortgage broker that the realtor recommended and start all over again.

B. After getting all the signed paperwork home, I decided it would be a good idea to read it. Lo and behold, there is craziness in our liablities. It's showing that we have a $6000 loan from a bank in Lewiston, Maine and owe $100 to a firm that Google told me was a collection agency in Portland, Maine. Eeeek! Identity theft! I couldn't wait to talk to the bank tomorrow, so I ran a free credit report. Two of the agencies don't show this at all. The third wanted me to verify my identity by doing a multiple choice about which banks I had loans at. Since I didn't check off the Maine bank, they are taking 24 hours to verify that I'm who I say I am before I can see the report. It's so odd that it's in Lewiston, where Bates is, and dates to 1993. Dan thought that it could be some old student loan, but how is it possible that it didn't turn up in previous years? And I never had a Maine bank account, everything was done through Connecticut. But it wouldn't be dated to 1993 if it was identity theft, would it. So weird.

No comments: