Tuesday, July 17, 2007

God, I hate phone trees

Applying for unemployment is a thoroughly unpleasant experience, I don't recommend it. My first claim was denied because I'd only worked one quarter of the past five quarters, so I didn't qualify. I had to re-apply when July 1st rolled around to prove I'd now worked in two quarters. Then I spent a good 45 minutes, spread over four days trying to call to "get credit for my 'waiting week'", only to discover I'd been calling a week too soon.

Tomorrow I fax some paperwork to verify that I did work 2 quarters after all, then I guess I have to fight my way through the phone tree again next week. Which puts me a month behind when I should have been collecting benefits. And in the end, I'll be surprised if I get more than $2000 when all is said and done. Better than nothing I suppose.

And although I'm not in the least bit interested in going back to work when the sun is shining and the beach is calling, I did send out a resume to a job tonight. I remember how all the job postings seemed to dry up last fall when I decided to start looking, I don't want to make the same mistake.

No comments: