Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Lie to your Children

Big mommy mistake yesterday. We were at the beach in the afternoon and it looked like a thunderstorm was coming. I decided to give Nathan fair warning that the lifeguard would probably make us get out of the water, because I didn't want him getting upset and blame me for having to leave. We were going a few rounds in the "Why?"
"Because a,b,c"
"Why?"
"Because x,y,z"

When we go to "Why can't we be in the water when it's lightening out?" And I responded with "Because you can get electrocuted and die." Ooops.

He seemed to brush off what I said at first, until the lifeguard blew the whistle and he started to FREAK OUT. When Claire went down to the water to wash her hands he went into complete panic mode that she was going to die. Argh. It took a good half hour to calm him down, and I purposefully went for a drive away from the weather to make sure he was calm before we had to face any thunder or rain.

The last two days have been full of constant fear about thunder and lightening, and fear that the power will go out again. He didn't freak out as much this afternoon when a storm came through, but only because I completely coddled and soothed him through it.

In many ways it's a repeat of the great poisonous mushroom scare of 2006. In the original Babar story, the king of the elephants eats a poisoned mushroom and dies. Nathan got really worked up about that one day, and the next time we went hiking he was terrified that Claire was going to die because she was walking towards some mushrooms. The sentiment is sweet, but in practice, it's headache inducing.

1 comment:

painterjoy said...

My Mom once told me when I was about Nathan's age that if I got too close to the train on the platform it would suck me under.

I am still afraid of trains to this day.

I think these things are what makes life interesting and so great.