Sunday, November 26, 2006

I believe in ...... hmmmm

I decided to go to chuch today. I don't think I've ever been able to say that before. Wow.

I'm never going to be Catholic again, that's a given. But I've always felt that children benefit from religious education and from being part of a charitable community. When we lived in D.C., I considered going to Quaker services, but didn't really want to go alone. Now that we're here, and getting settled in, I keep thinking that church would be a wonderful way to be involved in the communitity and for the kids to meet new people.

Dan's mother, who was raised Quaker, goes to the Unitarian-Universalist church in Canton. I had no idea what the U-U's are, but generally thought that if my liberal, secular in-law liked it, it might suit me too. A few weeks ago I took the Belief-o-matic quiz on belief.net and found that my beliefs coincide with the U-U beliefs 100%. (Roman Catholic was about 13%)

I had a very nice time today. The sermon seemed to be talking about me (take a risk and try something new), the people were friendly, Nathan had fun in the playroom, and it smelled nice. Yeah, I have a thing for incense and candle wax. I just need to work out the details of what to do with Claire. She didn't want to be left in the nursery. Janet stayed with her so I could hear the sermon, but I can't do that every week. I'll have to work out how to take turns with her, or see if Dan wants to come, so I don't miss all the services. Nathan should be more easygoing, although he was shy, and also thought the music was too loud.

3 comments:

painterjoy said...

I often think about what I am going to do when I have kids. I like the philosophy of UU, and out here in LA there are many new age kind of 'churches'. Guess I'll figure it our when the time comes.

saffry said...

What do you call an atheist with kids?

A Unitarian Universalist

Anonymous said...

Jenn and I started going to the UU congregation in Danbury a year or so ago and really like it. We, like you, were looking for a way for the kids to be part of a community and it seemed the way to go.