Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Another plug for Freecycle

I knew I was a slight packrat, but this is ridiculous.

I bought this dress when I was a bridesmaid in my cousin Jeanne's wedding. I'm trying to remember how long ago that was. Her daughter Maddy must be seven or eight by now. I must have been living in Georgia at the time. Which means this dress, which I only wore once, has been packed up and moved with me at least
1.Alexandria
2.Arlington
3.Germantown Apt
4.Germantown Townhouse
5.Saranac Lake House
6.Hannawa Falls
SIX TIMES. Ridiculous. And, it doesn't even come close to fitting me anymore. But it was always too nice a dress to just toss in the Salvation Army bin.

So today, I posted it on Freecycle and hopefully someone will take it off my hands before it moves a seventh time. (And I may be underestimating that, it could have moved once in Georgia too.)

But do you know what's even worse than me being a slight packrat. Somewhere, in my Father's house, is a nightmare in Mauve lace that I wore to my Junior Prom. I doubt anyone from Freecycle would want that.

4 comments:

AllBeehive said...

2 years ago, right before my parents moved from Indiana back to Connecticut, I cleaned out the last of my stuff from their house. This included my Junior and Senior prom dresses which I proceeded to wear around the house. Then come back and drink with my girl friends and wear them again. I know exactly where they are in the house right now and I will never get rid of them. They are a slice of life that will remain in the costume bin. I'm sure they will resurface some day. Who knows, Claire may want to wear your prom dress for Halloween some day. Would you deny her that?

Anonymous said...

Hi! It was 1997 to be exact!
Did you try to consign it? There is a store here that takes bridemaids dresses, I know I took 3 of the ones I had worn there, not much $$ but it better than nothing. Jeannie

saffry said...

Yes, I would. You must not remember just how much mauve and lace and poofyness was contained in this dress.

The green dress from Senior year is fine for her to play with and will not blind me when I look at it.

saffry said...

Hi Jeanne,
Yes, I remembered last night that we were living here when you got married. There are very few stores here, so I bought the dress at Buckland Mall when I went to your shower.

Which means the dress has moved with me EIGHT times. But I sent photos to someone today who should be picking it up soon.