Sunday, May 27, 2007

Gotta fill up the blank spaces in my new house

Ten plus years ago, when we last lived in Potsdam, NY, I was passing a tag sale and decided to pick up a table for $5. I then had some fun painting it and stamping designs on it without any clear idea of what I was going to do with it. Shortly after that, our particle board computer desk self-destructed trying to get up the stairs to our Georgia apartment, and the table was pressed into temporary service as a desk. Can you see where I'm going with this?

It's a rotten substitute. The keyboard and mouse are too high, so our wrists aren't at the right level. There are no drawers for pens and doodads. I have to move the keyboard out of the way to have room to write anything. Rotten. But either we didn't have money to replace it or I didn't want to risk another collapse in our next move, so it has remained. But its days are numbered.

We currently have two choices. In column A, there is a new Target store in Watertown, where we'll be on Wednesday for the closing. Since the kids won't be with us, we may swing by and see if they have this in stock for $99.

However, this is the desk that I really like. I'm trying to shop around for a better price. It's either $450 or $300 + $150 in shipping in the places I've found so far. I'm not sure if I can justify that expense right now. Maybe it's time to hit some more tag sales.

3 comments:

AllBeehive said...

Get the desk you want now, because otherwise you'll get the ok one and stare at it for the next 15 years hoping for a better one.

saffry said...

Ending up sidestepping the debate by buying option 3, which happened to be at the local furniture store as an as-is floor model for $150.

davegannon said...

wow, i like all three, but yes, the second option would be my first choice. i agree with my wife in that it's best to put out a bit more for what you want, ESPECIALLY coming from someone who has major ergonomic issues and has to have the right height. and the keyboard trays make a big diff too on your shoulders and wrists. i lilke the look of three and it has many compartments to work with. congrats on the house and everything!