Thursday, May 03, 2007

Baseball and Apple Pie

Neither Dan nor I have particularly green thumbs. My philosophy is that I want to plant things, ignore them, and hope they don't die. So I don't think we're ready for intensive gardening yet. But we really like flowering trees and fruit trees. I loved the two big apple trees in the back yard, and the crabapple, dogwood and forsythia in Meriden. And Dan's parents have a very nice sour cherry tree in the front yard.

I happened upon the National Arbor Day Foundation website today and they have a fantastic tree store, which is easily searched by growing zone and type of tree. Plus, every order today received two free forsythia. But that's not all. If I paid for an Arbor Day membership I also got a free Red Maple tree. Cool. So we're going to have all this in our new yard.

Red Jonathon, a late apple good for everything


Lodi, a earlier apple good for cooking. Mmmmm pies


This is a sour cherry. It's pretty, and it combats arthritis.


Pretty forsythia


Lovely red maple


Of course, for the first few years, they're just going to be sticks in the ground. If I don't kill them first. I think there is a forsythia in the yard now that hasn't been pruned properly. And several ancient Sugar Maples. I wish I'd taken a picture of them with the sap bucket this spring. There's a farmer up the road who taps all the trees in the area, boils the sap, and then returns some finished syrup to the tree owners. Yummy!

And just to have my title make sense, GO SOX!

No comments: