Tuesday, May 01, 2007

They like me, they really like me

I'm experiencing something completely unprecedented in my 20 years of job-hunting, I'm being sought after. It's very strange.

Way, way back in the fall I took the County Civil Service exam for Senior Accountant. Back in January, they started sending me letters asking if I was interested in part-time work, but I declined. Now they have full-time positions available, and I got a high enough score that I'm being considered for three jobs right now. I've interviewed for two, both in the County administrative office. The third interview is for the school district.

The tricky thing is that of the first two interviews, I think the second job suits me better. Do I dare decline if the first job is offered to me? Also, the first two jobs aren't technically permanent, but the third one would be. And how much should the fact that I love this building and want to work here play into things. You should see the foyer, it was built during the Craftsman period and is floor to ceiling glazed green and yellow tile. Gorgeous. But the third job is closer to the new house and the school the kids will be going to.

Do I need to consult my mortgage broker before accepting a new job? I'd think that a full-time job with 30% more pay would automatically be a plus, but I'd hate to screw up the mortgage if I switched jobs between now and the 24th.

No comments: